Monday, June 27, 2016

The Art of Being Normal

Volume Twenty in the Books That Matter Series

Fourteen-year-old David Piper has only ever had one wish: to be a girl. Fifteen-yea- old Leo Denton is about to start a new school and just wants to be blend into the crowd and be left alone. But when their worlds collide in the school cafeteria, it becomes clear that Leo will not get his wish.

The Art of Being Normal by Lisa Williamson is a must read book. I found it tucked away on the bottom shelf of the young adult section at a fairly new independent bookstore. All I could see was the spine. Between the title and the tiny bit of design, I fished the book out away from the others and read the jacket description. I had not heard about it before but I instantly knew I wanted to read it. I bought it Saturday afternoon. I was in the middle of another book, but by Saturday night, I decided I couldn't wait to read it. Within twenty four hours, I had finished it. I didn't want to put it down.

These characters will stay with you after the book is over. David and Leo were instantly likeable. They face insurmountable struggles that are both sad for the reader and devastating for the character. But there are also positive moments that shine through, including some excellent British humor. The Art of Being Normal should be in every bookstore, library, and school. It is truly a book that matters and has the makings for a modern classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment