Thursday, August 25, 2016

The Seventh Wish

Volume Twenty Three in the Books That Matter Series

A couple months ago, I bought The Seventh Wish by Kate Messner. At the time, I was reading another book so I put it in my to be read pile, not realizing what a gem I had waiting for me. Then last week, when a friend said that she'd read the book and would let me borrow it, I remembered I had it so I fished it out of my pile and started reading it.

The Seventh Wish is a middle grade fantasy novel with a much deeper reality. Charlie Brennan is a normal middle school student with an older sister in college, several close friends, and a passion for Irish dancing. But one day when Charlie is ice fishing with a friend and his nana, she catches a magical fish that grants wishes. Having read stories of people who make wishes through other magical sources, Charlie understands the risks but still gets caught up in the allure of her wish-fish. However, Charlie's addiction is not the only one faced in this story. There is a more serious situation working its way into her life, but you must read the book to find out what it is.

I met Kate Messner a few years ago at a conference where she gave an inspirational speech. Then, she was talking about her book, Eye of the Storm, and of course I read it after that. So I was excited when I heard that she was releasing a new book, this one a fantasy. I was surprised--though I should not have been--by how serious this novel was and how much parallel there was between the fantasy elements and the true life moments. The Seventh Wish proves that fantasy can be a powerful vehicle to bring forth deeper real world problems that many are struggling with today. There is an author's note at the the back of the book that provides important information for people who are seeking additional resources. The Seventh Wish is a must read and a book that truly matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment